Thursday, August 23, 2012

I'm finally in Korea!!

안녕하세요! 

It has been about a week since I arrived in Korea and I am loving every minute of it! This post is a bit overdue since I've been busy moving and settling into my dorm (and of course exploring Seoul) but I will catch you up on what I've been up to so far.

I arrived at Incheon International Airport in the afternoon of August 17 and the first thing I noticed was the heat! It was very warm and humid outside which did not help since I was already tired after a nine-hour flight and not sleeping the night before. However, the excitement of finally being in Korea gave me enough adrenaline to stay awake. My friends and I walked around a bit before having dinner at a restaurant in 홍대 (Hongdae), which was near the hostel we stayed at. Our first meal in Korea was traditional barbeque meat and side dishes. It was probably one of the best things I've had so far in Korea :)



The next day was the day of my move-in to my dorm. I was very excited to see what Korea University looked like, and of course what my dorm room looked like! I was surprised to learn that my school is located on what seems to be a mountain; everything is built on hills! The walk from the dorms to the main campus is quite a workout and the campus itself is HUGE! Despite the mini hike up to my dorm, I am still able to appreciate the beauty of the campus. Many of the buildings on campus look like castles; it is truly stunning! I definitely feel like my legs and body have grown stronger due to all the walking!




Aside from walking, the main mode of transportation in Korea is the subway. Since I've lived in Hawaii all my life, riding the subway seemed very confusing and scary at first. With the help of my friends I was able to pick up very quickly on how to navigate the subway system. After only a few days, I felt very comfortable with riding the subway alone and it is now one of my favorite things Korea! Korea's subway system is truly amazing and extremely efficient, not to mention inexpensive!

To recap, my first week in Korea has been wonderful; I love the food, transportation, and all the sights and sounds of Seoul!

No comments:

Post a Comment